Thursday, December 30, 2004

Security

A chilling exchange on an internet message board for rat terrier owners shows how a Kansas woman who allegedly ripped the baby out of the abdomen of a pregnant dog breeder set up the meeting. read more


That story appeared a few days ago, thinking about blogging and identity and how many identifying details we are prepared to reveal reminded me of it.

I mean, I guess out of instinctual self-preservation I have several online layers. On this site I post what I am thinking and about things that are happening around me, I probably don't impart that much personal detail about myself but I feel comfortable here. After that are several other layers which I can't really define but which either "shed" or accumulate depending on circumstances.

I guess on a personal details scale of 1 to 10, I am probably somewhere about 6. At 10 there are incredibly trusting people like Bobbie Jo Stinnett, who shared her pregnancy on a chat board and chose to meet a complete stranger. And at 0 there are harmful people. Like Lisa Montgomery. Who completely falsified her identity and killed another woman to obtain an unborn child and complete a false pregnancy.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site
Meter